Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Forgotten Degree

It's been 10 years now since I graduated from college - with a degree that I took great pride in. A degree that got me my first job as a graphic designer and introduced me to so many interesting people. A degree that got my name printed on CDs & magazines as: Art Director or Cover Artist or Layout Designer. A degree that got my foot in the door to my most exciting job, working for Al Coplend. And a degree that is no longer being used.

Yep, it's sad to say that since I have had kids, I no longer work in the field that once was my dream. Sure, I use my skill from time to time, for family or friends or for my own benefit, but not for a paycheck. And yes, I have toyed with the idea of starting my own design business from home, but I'm just to chicken and don't really have the time these days to devote to it.

So for now I am satisfied when a family member calls me up to design an invitation or a cover for a reunion scrapbook. And I get excited when I have a birthday party or baptism or birth announcement to do. It brings me back to my creative mode and for a few hours I feel like I'm back in the working world and get a sense of accomlishment. Maybe one day I'll go back to work, or open my own business and if I do - my friends - you'll be the first to know!

Here are my 2 latest pieces that I did for myself ~ ENJOY

Mikey's 2nd Birthday Invitation

Emma's Birth Announcement

1 comment:

McGoey said...

You could totally have a business at this! I would be a customer for sure. I am going to keep this in mind for Colin's birthday. I am already thinking Thomas the Train...