Tuesday, September 30, 2008

First Of Many

I am truely blessed that my child has not been one that has been sick much. Sure, we've had the occassional runny nose and cough, but nothing serious and nothing that merited a prescription. That is up until yesterday. I took him to the doctor since he's been battling a runny nose for a week now and it was starting to look a little yellow. Diagnosis -- a bonafide ear infection! It caught me off guard since he hasn't been pulling his ear or giving me any signs that it may be hurting.

The doctor then asked me if there was any medicine that I preferred she didn't prescribe. Uhhhhh, well no, seeing as he hasn't had to take a prescription before. This stopped her in her tracks. She looked at me and said - "21 months old and he's never had a prescription?" As if I'm gonna lie to the doctor!!! I almost told her if she didn't believe me to look thru his chart - see, she's not our "normal" doctor, he wasn't in, so we had to see one of the partners.

She then said - "since this is his 1st prescription, I'll prescribe the good tasting stuff." Well thanks doc, but shouldn't you do that for all the kids? Not just the ones that have never taken a prescription before. I mean really -- if the "good" stuff was always prescribed a mother's work would be a little less hard -- we wouldn't have to fight our children to get the medicine down. So for now my little man is still a good medicine taker - that is until he gets the "not so good stuff" because it's not his 1st prescription!

No comments: