Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sniff Sniff

It seems like just yesterday we were bringing home this new little person, so small and so helpless. My 1st baby, whom I didn't want out of my site for fear that something would happen to him, or worse, that he would feel like his mommy left him. Needless to say it took me a LONG time to be comfortable leaving him in the loving arms of family.

Tonight we crossed a new bridge. Leaving him in the caring arms of complete strangers. Complete stranger to us and to him. All we knew is that these were responsible adults who have positions at his new school. It was Parents Night and we decided to take advantage of it. We also thought it would be good for him to experience his new school and other children since he will be starting there on Sept. 2nd.

Mikey walked right in and stared at the other children for a minute or two, then jumped right in playing with a kitchen. He didn't once turn around to see if Michael or I were still standing there. It wasn't until we asked him for a kiss bye that he actually looked at us. Then he went back to playing and we left. And by the time we got to the car I was crying. Partly because I was leaving my baby, partly because he acted like he didn't need me and partly because I thought he would be sad when he realized I wasn't there. Basically all the "mommy" emotions.

I dried my eyes and Michael & I went to dinner. We enjoyed the food - Japenese - YUM! And when it was all done we got back in the car to go pick up our doodle-bug. I didn't think about it much at dinner, but once back in the car I started to wonder: Does he miss me? Has he looked for me? Did he cry? Is he getting along with the other children? Has he fallen and hurt himself? I could go on and on....

We arrived back at the school almost 2 hours after leaving him. We walked in and asked the teacher how he was - she said just fine. He played really hard she said. We stood by the observation window and just watched him. He was by the TV, they had just put The Incredibles on. He was being Mikey! Had the dvd case in hand and just like he does to me, brought the case to the teacher. Then he spotted us and walked out the classroom to greet us and then headed back in. He was showing us around like he had been going there for years. It was so cute! I could tell he really enjoyed himself, which really set me at ease.

Now don't get me wrong, I will go thru all these emotions again on Sept. 2nd when I bring him to his 1st day of school. After all it is a huge step in our lives and he is still my little baby boy that I feel just came home from the hospital! I guess it will always feel like this, no matter how old he is!

No comments: